Search This Blog

Friday, October 5, 2012

The Most Important Gifts we can Give our Children


 

The Most Important Gifts we can Give Our Children

1.       Our time- Real time, look them in the eye and hear what they are saying, time!  If your child is struggling with something, be there for them.  Even if you don’t understand, provide them comfort.  Help shelter them from the storm, when you can.  If they make a mess of something, help them pick up the pieces.  Sometimes you have to let them fix their own problems, but be there, cheering them along.  When we really engage with our children, we learn to understand them.

2.       Our love- Don’t just say “I love you” actions speak louder than words. If your child doesn’t like being touched (hugged & kissed) find other ways to express love.  I like to leave messages on the bathroom mirror with a dry erase marker, or put a napkin note in their lunch J.  Love is a gift that tends to keep giving.  Remember love is patient and love is kind.

3.       Forgiveness- Everyone messes up, don’t hold grudges or they’ll do the same to you. Practice forgiveness, set a good example.

4.       Teach them to accept others

5.       Teach them empathy.

6.       Teach them to use kind words.

7.       Teach them not to judge others.

8.       Respect- If you don’t respect your kids, they won’t respect you. Respect is not given, it is earned. 

9.       Be a role model, be a good example.  So if you want your kids to listen to you, listen to them. You want them to read more, read more. You want them to eat healthier, eat healthier.

10.   Memories- The gift we can give our children that will withstand time is a memory.  One day when our children are grown and look back on their lives, what do you want them to remember?  For me, I want them to remember love, a warm embrace, kisses good night, and waving good bye when they go to class.  Reading stories, curled up on the couch, on an overcast day. I want them to remember me making them their favorite dinners, or eating dinner together each night. I want them to remember that I loved them and I always will. 

 

Think about what it is you want your children to remember…  What gifts do you want to give them? 
I'm sure there are many more I haven't included on this list- I'd love to hear from others on this.  What gifts do you want to give your children?

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a pretty good list. Not only should we teach them to accept others, we can accept them, with all their flaws, show them that they are accepted and loved just as they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so true! Show that love is unconditional... I know I find myself nagging a little too much at times, but I try to balance it out. Make sure I tell him I love him more than anything.
    I think it's important also to be willing to apologize. When I mess up, I sit down and tell them I am sorry. I think it shows them that everyone makes mistakes and the right way to handle it, if you do.

    ReplyDelete