Search This Blog

Monday, April 2, 2012

State Testing = Mom Fail


State testing has successfully made me feel like the worst mom ever, a complete failure.  I knew Tre had test anxiety but I didn’t think it had gotten this bad!  Can you tell it’s been a long day?

Since Tre attends a virtual school, they set up testing locations at local churches, where kids from the community go to take the state test.  Tre’s days for testing were today and tomorrow. We talked about it for the last week, preparing for what would happen. I told his teacher about his bad test anxiety and she assured me, all would be well…  (this is where malevolent laughter can be inserted).

We pulled up and he was doing fine.  We had to go and sign in and things were good. We went and sat in the car to wait until the testing would start.  We sat and watched a video on youtube, and he started crying.  First indication that he was worried but I didn’t think it would be too bad and honestly I didn’t know what options I had.  I asked him what was wrong and he just shrugged.  We had a lot of positive talk “You’re going to do fine, just try your best”, so on and so forth.  “I’ll buy you whatever you want for lunch!” even entered the conversation.  Then the kids all started lining up by grade.  I said “oh, come on, let’s go!”  As I enthusiastically exited the car, he just sat there, arms folded.  So I got out and walked across the parking lot and he finally followed.  Slowly he approached where the other kids were, but not without telling me I was a stupid jerk. I told him to be nice and whispered that there were kids around and he didn’t need to talk that way.  He replies “Who freakin’ cares?!” overly loud  (at this point he is trying to rattle me because he is saying things I don’t want him to say and he is doing it in public, he wants to leave).

The teachers there were super sweet and let me walk him to the door where his testing would be held.  He stood against the wall and refused to go in.  He was standing there, holding his breath and shaking his head no, he wouldn’t even talk to anyone!  So the coordinator approached us and told him “Okay mom can sit in the hall, so you can look out the door and see her!”  Nope…  at this point I’m 1)embarrassed 2) desperate 3)scared.  No words can describe how it feels when you know your child needs to do something but there is nothing you can humanly do to force them.

So the poor teacher had to get all of the other students started as Tre adamantly stood against the wall refusing to go in. So finally the teacher said I could sit in the room!  Nope… I went and sat down; finally he walked in, I think hallelujah!  But instead of taking a seat, he just slid down the wall and started sobbing. He was even banging his head on the wall. Bless the other kids in the room, because not one starred or said a word.  About this point I’m tearing up.  The teacher approached me and said that we could go, just let the coordinator know what was going on. She said she had witnessed what had happened and would let the school know that he is not capable of testing at this time. She was ever so kind but her words cut me so deeply.  It was a reality check, just look at how sick my little boy is.

So I apologize and she said it was okay, and even hugged me.  She said that she just couldn’t let him be a distraction to the other kids.  I tried bribing him, threatening him, I pulled out every mommy tool I could think of, and nothing was getting through.  So on the way out I talked with the coordinator who incredibly understood and took responsibility for the school not being better prepared to accommodate us. See in the last three months, we’ve been on home school; we’re just starting with a third teacher. They said it’s not normally like that but since it is, no one is really familiar with us.

She said that she would either say “Unable to complete” on his test or set up a one on one testing between him and a teacher at a local library, so he could feel less anxious. 

I really tried to well prepare him for this.  I was full on crying by the time I got to the car.  I feel responsible for him being clingy to me; I worry if I have made it worse or if his disorder is getting worse.  I wonder is he trying to control the situation? Or is he just desperate to get out of the situation because his anxiety about it is so bad?  In the past he has handled situations like this better but from what I have been told; his bipolar will escalate, because he had such an early onset.

As I’m sitting in the car sobbing, he starts crying, he is soooo sorry and to take him back, let him try again.  He started calling himself stupid, and bashing his fists in his head.  See I wasn’t angry with him… but he was angry with himself.  He wants to be one of those kids that were sitting there taking the test as much as I would like for him to be.  Plus once he was crying in front of those kids, the last thing he wanted to do was be stuck in a room with them for three hours.

It’s hard to accept that perhaps this is just the best he can do.  I wonder what future he will have if he will always be so dependent on me.  What happens one day, when I’m no longer here?  Should I help him by letting him avoid stressful situations if possible, or should I push him to learn to deal with them more?  I didn’t know what else to do this morning.  There was no forcing him in a seat and making him write. Nothing I could have offered or threatened would have changed his response. He was completely shut down. 

I am so filled with this flow of emotions that causes nausea in my gut.  This clenching fear, and concern.  But I kiss him and tell him I love him and that it’s going to be okay.  I told him that we just have to try again and at least now they understand how hard it is for him. Sometimes I honestly have no idea what I’m doing!  Thanks state testing for reminding me of that.

6 comments:

  1. As a parent you have the right to sign a waiver so that he does not have to take any state tests. My friend growing up never took any tests, her parents just signed the waiver. I don't know how it will work, since he's at a virtual school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They said since he was there they could say he started the test but was unable to complete it. He won't get scores for this year but it doesn't have any impact on his grade. So we're going to just regroup and try next year. Fortunately they were flexible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can completely understand what you and Tre went through today, as Mary had the same testing. We got her up, fed, ready and medicated with little to no problem. We even made it halfway to MCC, before the tears started. She started banging her head on the back of the carseat saying she was too stupid to do the test. I got her to calm down, but only by singing with her. At first she started out still crying, but then slowly the music and repetition worked and calmed her down. When we got to MCC, she was calm and collected on the outside, but I knew that she was still shaking on the inside. We went in and signed her in, all before the rest of the students started arriving. She spoke to her teacher and seemed ready for the test. We were allowed to go into the testing room a few minutes before the other students, so that Mary could find a seat where she felt safest. When the other 2nd through 4th grades filed in she stiffened up, and grew quiet, which is not her normal at all. When the teacher, who has had her for the last two years worth of tests, said it was time for me to leave, I left. I spent the next three hours worrying, and for good reason. According to her teacher, Mary was unable to complete her test today. They even let her stay for an extra two hours working on the Math test, but she barely finished half of it. Looks like it is definately going to take all three days they have allotted for the testing. So Sweety, just remember that there are those of us who know exactly the type situation and stress you are going through. As always Tre is in my thoughts and prayers. Things will get better once the school gets everything figured out. Mary's teacher didn't know how to handle Mary's difficulties that first year. Last year was easier because Taylor was there and they actually put Mary in the same room with her. So she had her "security blanket". It seems that every year Mary's situation starts deteriorating, at least you have found out what is going on with Tre. I'm still fighting with Mary's doctor about Mary's conditions. We know she has ADHD, but we aren't 100% sure what else is going on with her. You are still my Hero baby cousin, even if there are days when you feel like a failure. That is the just another part of being a Mom. Sometimes we fail, but from our failures we learn ways to avoid making that same choice again. Talk to the Teachers about 1 on 1 testing and arrainging accomidations for Tre. This was not your failure, or Tre's failure. The school is at fault for not making accomidations for Tre. Give him a hug and kiss from all of us here. Same for Dom, Richard, and you. Love you guys!!!
    Love Always,
    Your Cousin

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart aches for you. I have felt what you describe so many times, and witnessed my daughter respond to stress and anxiety the same way you describe your son doing. Some how, my daughter has always managed to handle the state testing--she usually does them in a separate room so she won't get distracted. But I always tell her not to worry about the tests, and I try not to either. I don't believe they are an accurate measure of a child's intelligence or creativity. You are a good mom-hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can totally relate to the moment where you can't decide if this is about him not wanting to take the test or not being able to take the test, two very different things, but so hard to figure out with our kids. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mama Bear, I was really at a point of irritation and then I looked at him and had to decide in that second if I was going to lecture him the whole way home, or just comfort him. I opted to comfort him, in case it was just the fear taking over. But in the back of my head I have to wonder. I just know if I had started the lecture that was playing in my head, it would have not stopped for some time lol. Tears were just the winner for that one.

    ReplyDelete