Search This Blog

Monday, March 12, 2012

March Madness!!! Ah ha!

March Madness, how could I have forgotten? 
So Friday night was rough for me.  The Saturday came and we had Opening Day for T-Ball. Our team was able to raise some money, and the kids had a lot of fun.  Dominic is feeling better and looked oh so cute running around in his uniform and baseball cap.  And Tre, Tre had fun, running around and playing with other kids.  He did keep randomly talking to people about off the wall things, but hey I can live with that!  He is so full of energy right now that if I can’t find ways to properly channel it, it becomes negative energy. The problem is, this energy does not help when it comes time to sit down and do schoolwork either.  So we do some work, go for a walk, do some work, make origami, do some work, listen to music…  so it ultimately takes us two times as long to finish, but hey, we’re getting it done!
Sunday morning, I had to take Dominic bright and early for his team pictures. We left at 8:30 and didn’t get home until around 10.   I let him play with all of his teammates after pictures and just sat back and relaxed.  It was lovely. The weather warmed up and it was just peaceful. 
When I came home, Tre was up.  He had showered, got dressed, and even brushed his teeth. (That’s big for him to take personal initiative on those things and not to fight when he is asked to do them).  He was super eager to share with me the good he had been doing. I just love that.  I make sure to praise him every step of the way.  Then he said “Did you go look in the bathroom yet?”  I said “no…” he expressed some urgency in the matter, so I went to see what he was talking about.  There it was:

I stood there for a minute, just smiling to myself. See this is something I do for them, if I am leaving for any period of time, or sometimes just because. I use a dry erase marker and leave notes on the mirror.  I guess somehow he just sensed I needed to be reminded he loved us.  (and no, I haven’t wiped it off!)
Then the pieces all started coming together, the dots all start to connect.  It starts with him waking up going 100 mph before I can even open my eyes.  He carries this momentum throughout the day.  Rarely slowing down.  It swings from “happy” to “angry” with the bat of an eye.  But regardless he goes at it, full speed!  There isn’t much to say or do. I wonder “Is he unstable”, “did he eat something with red dye”, “did he take his medicine?!”  It took me until today to remember, yikes, it’s nothing other than March Madness!  
The time change, the weather change, it all has been shown to effect the moods of bipolar kids!  There is the September Slump and the March Madness.  And as crazy as it sounds, it explains his mood, so precisely! 
So you can safely assume I won’t be cleaning my bathroom mirror for a few weeks.  Just gotta make it through March! J  Leaving it there gives me something solid, something to look at when he is adamant that he hates me! Well and if he gets mad enough at me to erase it, I have a picture too!   

2 comments:

  1. So, I say "When England defeated the Spanish Armada, they became a major sea power!" I ask him if he heard me, he said "Yeah the Spanish were making sea water!" this is one of those days I just have to laugh while I can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet note, underneath all the conflict there is a little boy who loves you so much!

    ReplyDelete